Although a large percentage of all bomb threats are eventually found to be hoaxes, immediate action at the earliest notification of a threat is imperative to avoid the possible loss of life and property or personal injury and to avert panic.
The single most important function of the person who initially receives a
bomb threat is to gain as much information from the caller as possible.
Notification of a bomb threat
Initiation of bomb threat procedure
- Remain calm. Attempt to gain as much information from caller as possible, i.e., reason for threat, help in identifying caller, location of bomb, time of detonation and any other information that would help to locate bomb.
- Immediately write down any information gained from caller
- Immediately notify department head, supervisor, or their designee of affected area, ATSU Security, and Kirksville Police Department (KPD). Then notify person in charge: Robert Ehrlich or designee (ext. 2297), and Environmental Services (ext. 2648).
- Security will meet KPD to take them to the area. Upon arrival of KPD, follow their instructions.
- KPD will make preparation to evacuate and where to reassemble. DO NOT LEAVE ASSEMBLY AREA. You may be called on to identify suspicious objects in your area.