Science Teacher-VILS Technology Coach
Assabet Valley Regional Technical High School - Marlborough. MA
Verizon Foundation and its Thinkfinity Content Partners
- Series of online PD events sponsored by
- Tuesday, November 5th, 8:00 p.m. EST for a #MobileEdChat on Twitter
Learning through projects while equipped with technology tools allows students to be intellectually challenged while providing them with more interesting, diverse, and current learning materials as well as a more realistic snapshot of what the modern work force looks like. Students are also more likely to stay engaged and on task, reducing behavioral problems in the classroom.
Through projects, students acquire and refine their analysis and problem-solving skills as they work individually and in teams to find, process, and synthesize information they've found using various technology tools. They also use these same tools and applications to create and share quality projects with others fostering an environment of rewarding collaboration where everyone learns from each other.
This video demonstrating the technology used and the impact of incorporating technology based lessons and projects into my science curriculum was created edited and put together by my students; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeIpA0HmdD0&feature=youtu.be
Project Based Learning-
- Adds purpose/relevance to student work
- Increases engagement, creativity, problem solving, and collaboration
- Encourages students to agree on several components, including the need to involve each group member in planning and empowering group members to design their own learning using various apps and tools
- Creates personalized learning settings in the least-restrictive environment allowing students to determine which tech features and apps will best help them learn
- Allows students to move ahead in their assignments with limited assistance. For example, an application on the iPad can help students if they get stuck
- Encourages students to utilize iPads, Apps, Macs, netbooks, the internet, and other available technology to build their knowledge base
Podcast- samples on Podomatic.com
Podomatic. Podcasts & Minicasts-
Sample Educreations projects-
Using QR Codes and Readers to teach and share content in Education
Technology Based Lessons & Applications
Biograph- Learning Biology through Simulations using Complex systems
Applications & Technology Tools Used-
Verizon and ISTE -
Thank you for partnership, professional development and for supporting our goals.