USS OHIO (SSBN 726) is the first TRIDENT Class nuclear powered fleet ballistic missile submarine and the fourth United States vessel to bear the name of the seventeenth state of the union.
The second OHIO was a sailing ship-of-the-line launched in 1820. She spent most of her 55 years of service in reserve, being reactivated when needed. In 1838 she served as flag ship for Commodore Isaac Hull in the Mediterranean. In 1847, she served in the Gulf of Mexico during the Mexican War and in the Pacific Squadron on the coast of South America and California during the gold rush days. The second OHIO was finally decommissioned in 1875.
The third ship, USS OHIO (BB-12), was launched in 1901 and commissioned in 1904. Designated Flagship of the Asiatic Fleet, USS OHIO (BB-12) departed San Francisco in 1905 for Manila and served in the Asiatic Fleet for several years. After the United States entered World War I, OHIO acted as a training ship and operated from Norfolk. The OHIO (BB- 12) was one of the battleships that circled the world as part of President Theodore Roosevelt's Great White fleet. She was placed in reserve in 1919 and decommissioned in 1922.
The current USS OHIO (SSBN 726) is the lead ship of the Trident Class. Her keel was laid by Mrs. Robert Taft, wife of Senator Taft, on 10 April 1976 at Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation, Groton, Connecticut.
On 2 February 1978, the OHIO (SSBN 726) Precommissioning Unit was formed. Commander A. K. Thompson was its Commanding Officer.
On 11 November 1981, USS OHIO (SSBN 726) was commissioned at Electric Boat Division in Groton, Connecticut. The principal speaker, The Honorable George Bush, Vice President of the United States, remarked to the 8,000 assembled guests that the ship introduced a "new dimension in our nation's strategic deterrence." During the ceremony, Admiral Hyman G. Rickover noted that the OHIO should "strike fear in the hearts of our enemies." On that day, Captain A. K. Thompson assumed command of USS OHIO (SSBN 726)(BLUE) and Captain A. F. Campbell assumed command of USS OHIO (SSBN 726)(GOLD).
During August and September 1982, the first loadout of Trident C- 4 missiles on a Trident Class Submarine and a predeployment refit were conducted. USS OHIO and her Blue Crew, departed on the first Trident Submarine Strategic Deterrent Patrol in October 1982.
From June 1993 to June 1994 USS OHIO underwent overhaul at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Washington, the first for a Trident submarine. The ship received extensive upgrades to sonar, fire control, and navigation systems. USS OHIO resumed strategic deterrent patrols in January 1995. OHIO has completed sixty-one strategic deterrent patrols.
Information from http://www.ohio.navy.mil/www.ohio.navy.mil/html/history.htm