- Open up pidgin.
- Go to Accounts > Manage Accounts > add (add is a button down on the bottom left)
- Then in the Basic tab, fill out the following:
- Protocol: XMPP
- Username: <Your APU Net ID>
- Domain: apu.edu
- Resource <leave it blank unless you want the account to be called something. Its up to you.>
- Password: <Your Password>
- Check the remember password box (Or you will have to sign in everytime you open pidgin
- Leave Local Alias, new mail notification, use this budy icon for this account, and create this new account on the server unchecked.
- Next, go to the Advanced Tab.
- Connection security: Required encryption
- Make sure your connect port is 5222
- Your connect server should be: talk.google.com
- Your transfer proxies should be: proxy.eu.jabber.org
- BOSH URL: leave that blank
- Smileys are up to you.
Go to the Proxy Tab
Make sure Proxy type is set to "Use Global Proxy Settings"
Click CloseYou are now ready to add Groups and Contacts to your Pidgin program.