posted Nov 9, 2012, 9:59 AM by James Janssen
updated Nov 9, 2012, 10:24 AM
Several months ago, we announced the early availability of Google Drive: one place to create, collaborate, share and keep all your APU stuff. If you didn’t previously opt in to Google Drive, you’ll see a banner message soon to try it out. Around the end of November, the new look for Google Drive will become permanent.
(estimates provided by Google, actual rollout could vary)
The thing to remember, is that Google Drive is the new home for your Google Docs. Instead of clicking ‘Documents’ in your black Google navigation bar, you will click on ‘Drive’. All your files that were previously stored in Google Docs will now be available in Google Drive. What has Changed?
- If you did not opt in previously to Google Drive:
- Starting Nov 8, you will see a banner in Google Docs that reads, “The old look of Google Docs will be going away soon - Upgrade” and will include a link to allow you to switch to the Drive web interface.
- Starting Nov 15, you will automatically be switched to the new interface. You can still switch back to the old Docs look (by clicking the gears icon and selecting 'Temporarily use the old look").
- Starting Nov 29, the new look will become permanent. This means if you had previously tried out Google Drive but clicked ‘Temporarily use the old look’ you will automatically be switched to the new interface.
What is New?
- Collections are now called folders.
- The left navigation has new views:
- My Drive (See just your own stuff)
- Shared with me (See just those items that have been shared with you)
- Activity (This is like the original home view, with both of the above mixed in together)
- The Home view is gone. Instead, use My Drive to organize all of your files, folders, and Google Docs.
- Access everywhere, every device. Drive comes with desktop and mobile apps, making it much easier to upload, sync and access your stuff from any device. Get Drive for Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS and you can create and edit documents, open and share files, and upload photos and videos.
- Work with any file. Any file or folder that you choose to put into your Google Drive folder on your desktop, including Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, videos or images, are available from your applications file -> open/save interfaces, similar to how you work with items on your personal file shares.
- Grid View. View and search Google Drive on the web in a visual way.
Where to Get More Information?