Musings in Literature

muse | verb | ˈmyüz | to become absorbed in thought; especially : to think about something carefully and thoroughly

literature | noun | ˈli-tə-rə-ˌchu̇r | writings having excellence of form or expression and expressing ideas of permanent or universal interest

"Literature stands related to man as science stands to nature." —J. H. Newman

ABOUT THIS CLASS: Scientists only understand 4% of the universe, referred to "ordinary matter". However, the other 96% of "dark matter" is responsible for giving galaxies their shape through gravitational pull. That same gravitational pull is responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe (Panek). Webster's Dictionary defines "muse" as an absorption in thought, and while it's great to discuss how characters in literature respond to their settings, it's better to spark conversations over musings that consider why it is those characters respond in such a way. A person's perception of the world is as polarizing as dark matter; every action resultant of their beliefs, and thus, every belief responsible for accelerating expanded reactions to events.

This class is more than just reading and writing . It's more than formulaic essays and college entrances. It's an attempt at understanding the Human Condition, the choices man makes, and why we make them. It's about communication, about circumventing history's most tragic mistakes, and evolution.

Think critically. Observe new points of view. Make a claim. Defend it. And that my friends, is the point of English Class.