What is Act 46?
Act 46 of 2015 is an opportunity for districts and supervisory unions to unify existing disparate governance structures into sustainable systems of education delivery that are designed to meet identified State goals, while recognizing and reflecting local priorities. Learn more from the Vermont Agency of Education.
Act 46 is designed to encourage and support local decisions and actions that:
- Provide substantial equity in the quality and variety of educational opportunities statewide;
- Lead students to achieve or exceed the State’s Education Quality Standards, adopted as rules by the State Board of Education at the direction of the General Assembly;
- Maximize operational efficiency through increased flexibility to manage, share, and transfer resources, with a goal of increasing the district-level ratio of students to full-time equivalent staff;
- Promote transparency and accountability; and
- Are delivered at a cost that parents, voters, and taxpayers value.