|Textbook is available online at http://glencoe.com/ose/. Use the following code: D4BBC370C8.
CDV of the Week: #1: Life
CDV of the Week: #2: Rule of Law
CDV of the Week: #3: Pursuit of Happiness
CDV of the Week: #4: Justice
CDV of the Week: #5: Separation of Powers
CDV of the Week: #6: Checks & Balances
CDV of the Week: #7: Popular Sovereignty
CDV of the Week: #8: Patriotism
CDV of the Week: #9: Diversity
CDV of the Week: #10: Equality
CDV of the Week: #11: Common Good
Unit 2: The Middle Ages
Essential Questions: How does the achievement of one culture help to foster growth of another? Why do people convert to a different faith? What factors may influence social structure? What happens when there is no separation of church and state? What purposes does a strong central government serve? How do changes in the size of population affect a society? How important is the location of a city and how can cities survive for thousands of years?
The goals of unit two include the following:
1. Identify and explain the origins of Islam.
2. Explain how Muslims extended their rule over SW Asia, parts of Africa, and Europe.
3. Describe the economy, social structure, and daily life of Muslims during the height of the empire.
4. List contributions of Muslims to Western civilization.
5. Explain how Europe united and rebounded after the fall of Rome.
6. Describe feudalism and manoralism.
7. Identify the factors that led to the creation of nation states in England and France.
8. Explain how the Crusades affected Europeans and the Middle East.
9. Analyze how technological innovation and trade led to the rise of cities in medieval Europe.
10. Analyze the role and political impact of the Roman Catholic Church in European medieval society.
11. Describe the role of the Crusades, 100 Years War, and the Plague in the development of nation-states.
12. Explain the causes and spread of the Plague.
13. Analyze the demographic, economic, social, and political consequences of the Plague.
- Michigan Social Studies-4.1.2,
4.1.3, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.2.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5
- National Geography-3,
10, 11, 14, 15
- Common Core-11.R.1,
11.W.3, 11.W.4, 11.W.6, 11.W.10
Contact C. Schull by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (269-441-8484).