Kaiaraara Bay

The bay was occasionally referred to as Jenkinson's Bay in the 1840s. This refers to the nephew or nephew's family, of Captain Jeremaih Nagle, who made a chart of the western Great Barrier Island.
Missing Friends, Messages Etc.
If Captain Jeremiah Nagle will send his address to Mr. Henry Jenkinson, Reedy Lake Station, Lower Loddon, he will hear of his nephew.
Source: The Argus (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia) Friday, 2nd Nov, 1860. P1.
Note: Lower Loddon is in Australia.-DJA
A chart produced by Captain Jeremiah Nagle in 1846 which he got printed in Sydney. It shows various places named after members of his family and people he knew. The original chart is in the Hocken Library in Dunedin.
This is a small part of it.
You will notice Kairaara Bay is also named Jenkinson's Bay.
Click on the image to increase its size.


We are in receipt of a great variety of intelligence from Auckland, from the 22d of April, to the 17th of June, and it gives us much pleasure to perceive tokens of activity and progress in that settlement. The Chronicle of the 22d of April thus paints matters:-

            “The foundations of several important branches of commercial enterprise have been established amongst us. A few weeks ago about forty tons copper ore, twenty tons sulphur ore, and twenty Manganese ore, were exported by the Great Barrier Mining Company. Her Majesty’s ship Tortoise is just completing a full cargo of Kouri spars for the use of the navy. The extensive steam saw-mills of Messrs Heale Sinclair and Co., have for some time been in full operation. The water-power saw-mills of Dr Martin and other, are, we believe, nearly completed. Not far, we believe, from these works has been discovered a bed of very hard, close-grained grit or whinstone; similar to the French whinstone, so valuable in the construction of mill stones. Messrs Terry and Company are already actively engaged in the erection of their improved flax-dressing machinery, to be worked by water power. Should the site selected - and of which for the present they have the permissive occupancy - prove suitable to the designs of this company, the whole of the surrounding country, to the extent of not less than 20,000 acres, will, we believe, be purchased by them, under the provisions of the New Land Sales Act. The rope manufactory now in progress by Mr Robertson, will be worked with the best patent machinery, capable of producing every description of line and rope, fishing-nets, whaling lines, rigging of every description and cables of all sizes.

Source: The New Zealand Journal 1843 Page 283 via The Chronicle 22nd April, 1843.  

Brig Tryphena in Kaiarara Bay January 14th 1843

Captain Nagle forwards news of the copper mine and shipping movements in early 1843.  

New Zealand Extracts

Great Barrier

(From the Auckland Times)

Captain Nagle and his friends have furnished us with information respecting progress of the Copper Mines at the Barrier and we are happy to say that their advance far exceeds the most sanguine expectations. Large blocks of ore are daily obtained, of a quality unparalleled in the richest mines in Cornwall. The harbour itself affords conveniences and advantages to the shipping interest which hitherto have not been sufficiently known, but which are now beginning to be appreciated, as shown by the following list of vessels which have entered Port Abercrombie, Great Barrier Island, from the 1st January to the 1st of March, in the present year.

Jan 2, schooner Three Bees, and cutter belonging to HMS Tortoise, Jan 6, brig Tryphena, from Sydney, with a cargo of cattle and sheep; Jan 14, brig Tryphena from Port Jenkinson [present day is known by its Maori name of Kaiarara Bay, Jenkinson is a family connected to Captain Nagle - dja]; Jan 20 yacht Albatross, and schooner Hannah; Jan 23 schooner Rory O’More and Chapman.

Feb 1 Tryphena from Auckland and Coromandel Harbour; Feb 3 brig Luna from the Bay of Islands; Feb 1 Rory O’More from Auckland; Feb 12 schooner Maria, Feb 23 HMS Tortoise launch, Feb 22 schooner Chapman from Bay of Islands, Feb 20 schooner Otea from Miner’s Bay with copper ore, Feb 24 Rory O’More from Coromandel.

March 2 Maria from Bay of Islands, March 5 Otea from Miner’s Bay with copper ore, March 9 HM Col. brig Victoria from Auckland, March 10 Rory O’More from Bay of Islands, March 13 Rory O’More with copper, March 16 Chapman from Tauranga, March 19 Tortoise launch and Rory O’More from Miner’s Bay with copper ore.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald Tuesday 9th May 1843 p4

Barque Mersey drops 2 boilers off at Great  Barrier Island July 1861

The barque Mersey visits Port Fitzroy to drop off two 8-10 ton boilers and fire-bricks.

Cleared outwards - coastwise

July 29 - Mersey, barque, 751 tons, Duncan Smith, for Kaipara via Great Barrier, with 6 drums, 3 bundles, 67 bars iron, 2 steam boilers, 4 parts iron chimney, 1 case block and chains, 5000 fire bricks, 1 case, for Great Barrier,…

Source: Daily Southern Cross  2nd August, 1861,  p3.



December 1861 Court case in London over the freight of boilers to Great Barrier Island

Court of Queen’s Bench, Guildhall, Dec 10.

Great Barrier Land, Harbour, and Mining Company (Limited) v Gann and Another.

Mr Lush QC and Mr Pollock appeared for the plaintiffs; Mr Sargeant Shee and Mr Honyman were counsel for the defendants.

The plaintiffs are gentlemen who have formed a joint-stock company for the purpose of carrying out a land and mining speculation at the island of Otea or Great Barrier Island, north of Cape Colville, New Zealand, and the defendants, Messrs Willis, Gann and Co., are the well-known shipbrokers of London. Early in the present year the directors of the company contracted with the defendants to convey two boilers, each weighing from 8 to 10 tons, some funnels, and 5000 fire-bricks, to Port Fitzroy in the ship Mersey, for £300. When the boilers were delivered  at the East India Docks they were found to exceed the stipulated dimensions and the deck of the vessel had to be cut away to a greater extent than was anticipated, in order to allow them to pass into the hold. The funnels also, which were represented as going inside the boilers, required separate stowage, and Messrs Willis and Gann, therefore, increased the charge for freights from £300 to £398 9s 6d. The directors paid  the £98 9s 6d under protest, and brought this action for its recovery.

            The case occupied the whole day, and ended in a verdict for the plaintiffs.

Source: The Times  Wednesday, 11th December, 1861  p8

 Reference to the steam saw mill producing sawn timber August 1863.


To the Honorable                                                                Great Barrier Island

The Colonial Secretary                                                        August 10 1863



     On the 15th ultimo, I had the honour to address you respecting a supply of arms and ammunition from the Government for the protection of the inhabitants of this island.

            In reply, I have received a letter from the Colonial Defence Office dated the 23rd Ultimo, but the signature of the writer being illegible I am compelled to communicate with you direct.

            The letter from the Colonial Defence office is to this effect, - that I have not stated what is the danger which I apprehend, that if I am in no anticipation of an attack by the natives, arms cannot be furnished.

            I now beg to state that the danger we chiefly apprehend is from the attack of marauding parties of rebel natives from the Thames or the East Coast. To such attack the valuable property of the Great Barrier Company consisting of a steam Saw Mill, just commencing operations, with stores, sheep and cattle, together with the lives and properties of the employess and Tenants of the Company and other settlers, are completely exposed, and it does seem to me that from our isolated position and distance from Auckland, with every disposition to protect ourselves as far as possible we are deserving of some consideration from the Government.

            It is unnecessary for one to enter into reasons for thinking that such attacks are probable. It is sufficient, I think, for us to tell the Government that in the present state of the country they are quite possible. When we hear that the people of Coromandel and Waiheke are anticipating similar contingencies and deserting those places it is timely for us to be on the alert at the Barrier, where we are less able to obtain protection. Without some preparation in defence, the people here cannot be expected to remain in their employments, and thus all industrial pursuits would have to be suspended to the great loss to the Colony and all concerned.

            I think it prudent therefore to repeat my application to the Government for such protection as it may be able to afford, or that we may be provided immediately with arms and ammunition for our defence.

            I beg to propose that the Government should sanction the formation of a Volunteer Corps, under the usual Rules  & Regulations, for this Island. Such a Corps would consist of about 60 men all accustomed to the Bush and well immuned to every hardship, and I should be happy to command it. In case of serious danger an effort would be made to send the women and children to Auckland.

            I have no reason, at present, to suspect the Natives of this Island which are not more than 25 or 30 in number, of hostile intentions towards us. It is rather with their friends and connections from a distance that we may have to deal. But on the other hand, an experience of the Natives which extends over a period of upwards of 22 years warrants my belief that in the present state of affairs it would be imprudent to place much reliance on the friendly disposition of any of the Maori race.

            I most sincerely trust that we may be left to pursue our avocation here in peace, but should it unhappily occur that our position here should become untenable the Corps which I now propose to be formed might I hope be most usefully employed in active service, and though a married man with family, I should consider it my duty to accompany them.

            Requesting your early attention to this communhication,

            I have the honour to be, Sir,

            Your most obedient servant.


            Albert J. Allom J.P.


            General Manager & Agent for the Great Barrier Co.


Source: Colonial  Defence File  AD 1, 1863/474


The steam sawmill working in 1864 and their vessel being wrecked.


October 3.— Cloudy weather, wind N.W.

WRECK OF THE SCHOONER OSPREY. By the arrival of the schooner Swallow, from the Great Barrier Island and, on Sunday evening last, we received the news of the wreck of the schooner Osprey, at Blind Bay, near Wangaparapara Harbour, Great Barrier Island. [We have since received further particulars] it appears that the Osprey loaded with timber at Fort Fitzroy, for this port, and left in good order at 7 o'clock, on the morning of the 29th September. 'When she was about midway between the Kawau and Wangaparapara Harbour, Great Barrier Island, it was discovered that she had sprung a leak, caused probably by her straining in beating against the strong S.W. wind which was then prevalent.  Captain Ross, therefore, deemed it prudent - to run for the nearest port, and wore round for Wangaparapara Harbour, a port situated about twelve miles south of Port Fitzroy. On nearing his destination, however, it appears that Captain Ross mistook the entrance to the harbour, and ran instead into Blind Bay, 'a place situated close to and much resembling in appearance, the entrance to Wangaparapara Harbour, where she struck on some rocks which lie in the entrance. Immediately on striking she began to go to pieces, and it was with much difficulty that the hands were saved. - The Osprey we before mentioned, was, a vessel of 40 tons, and commanded by Captain Ross. "When wrecked she had on board a cargo of about 30,000 ft of sawn timber.

It was purchased by the Great Barrier Land, Harbour, and Mining Company (Limited), a few months ago, for the sum of £600, and was intended to be used to bring the timber that is being cut at that company's saw mill, on the Great Barrier Island, to this town. She was insured in the New Zealand Insurance Company office for the sum of £400. The following is the captain’s report : — Left Port Fitzroy at 7am. 29th September, 1864 ; cargo, timber and two passengers : wind S.W. and squally At

5.30 pm. found the schooner making too much water, having sprung a leak somewhere in the starboard quarter, the pump not being able to keep it under, and the forecastle and cabin being awash. Decided upon running for Wangaparapara, the nearest port, heading at the time for Passage Island, off Capo Colville, with starboard tacks aboard. Endeavoured to put about, but too much sea to do so.  Wore, and took the bearings for Wangaparapara (N. by E.) ; heavy sea and wind blowing hard Steered the same course and made the heads off, as we thought, Wangaparapara, but which turned out to be Okupu or Blind Pay. When we made the heads took in foresail and staysail and got the anchor ready to let go. Still under the impression we were in Wangaparapara. Noticed broken water ahead, let go the anchor, the schooner striking at the same time on the land. (8pm): she rounded up till broadside on to the sea, and then bilged on a stone, the rudder breaking off at the shoulder. Stayed on board about fifteen minutes, expecting the masts to go overboard every minute. Got the boat out to leeward, the seas making a clean breach over the vessel and half swamping the boat. All hands (6) got in, and providentially we reached the shore with our lives When she struck the schooner had only topsail and jib set ; the topsail was stowed at once and the jib lowered. Stopped in the neighbourhood of the wreck till morning. At daybreak two of the crew and one passenger went for food and assistance, and returned at 11 am . The schooner broke up at 9 a m, having surged up nearer the reef during the night ; too much sea to get at her. Mainmast came out all standing ; timber came up to nearly high-water mark.

                                                            George Ross (master).

Source- Daily Southern Cross, Volume XX, Issue 2248, 4 October 1864, Page 4

 Governor Grey at Kaiaraara Bay  9th May, 1865



H.M.S. 'BRISK,' Captain Hope, with His Excellency the Governor on board, arrived from the Kawau on Saturday afternoon. As we stated on Tuesday, the ' Brisk ' took his Excellency to the Kawau on Monday last. She lay off that island on Monday night, and sailed next morning to the Hot Springs, where she anchored. On Wednesday morning she proceeded to Nagle’s Cove at the Great Barrier, and on Thursday steamed to Kaiarara. The officers of of the 'Brisk' went ashore' on the island, and were hospitably received by Mr. Allom, of the Great Barrier Company. The vessel was taken through what is known as the Governor's Passage, one of the entrances to Port Fitzroy, and which is laid down in the " New Zealand Pilot" as being' fit only for boats. The passage of ' the 'Brisk' shows that this channel is capable of being taken by screw steamers, and as it saves eight or ten miles the achievement is of some importance.  Particular observation was also taken of the Horn Rock, a dangerous spot in the channel between the Great and Little Barriers, and we understand that his Excellency has promised to have a careful survey made of it, so that the exact depth of water upon the rock, at the different tides may be made known. The 'Brisk' left the Barrier on Friday morning at 6.30, arriving at the Kawau in the forenoon; and the Governor having embarked early on Saturday she arrived in

Auckland as above.  

Daily Southern Cross, Volume XXI, Issue 2433, 8 May 1865, Page 4


                                                                                                                                                                                 HMS Brisk