Android-x86 2.2 (Froyo-x86) release.
The Android-x86 project is glad to announce the new stable version 2.2 to the public. Live CD ISOs are available from our sites, as usual
Test reports (success or fail) are welcome as always. See the below contact information for how to report a problem. Please send the reports to the Android-x86 discussion group.
The is based on the Android 2.2.1 (Froyo branch). We fixed and added many x86 specified code to let the system runs smoothly on x86 platforms, especially for netbooks or tablets. The key features contain
- Kernel 188.8.131.52 with KMS enabled. Most netbooks can run Android-x86 in the native resolution.
- Hardware OpenGL acceleration for Intel integrated graphic chipsets. It is turned on by default if the i915 driver is available. However, if you have trouble with it, you can disable it by adding HWACCEL=0 to the cmdline. (by olv from 0xlab)
- Wifi and Ethernet support. Both are configured from the GUI.
- Support 3G USB modem with auto-configuration.
- A text based GUI installer which supports ext3/ext2/ntfs/fat32 filesystems.
- The installer is improved to support read-write mode, as well as a tool to create a fake sdcard.
- Bluetooth support for builtin device and external bluetooth dongle.
- Keyboard layout is configurable. To use it, you have to install Android-x86 to harddisk and reboot after changing the setting.
- External usb drive and sdcard are auto mounted on plugging.
- Add touch features to simulate Home/Menu/Back keys, useful for touchscreen only devices.
- Add software mouse cursor. Mouse wheel is also supported.
- Compressed filesystem (squashfs).
- MirBSD Korn Shell (mksh) is added to replace android's dumb sh.
- Touchscreen calibration.
- Battery status percentage.
- AndAppStore client 1.6.8.
- Atom optimization for dalvik and bionic.
We create targets optimized for different x86 platforms. Choose an image that closes to yours. If no image is suitable, your may add your own target.
To create a live USB stick from the iso image, we suggest to use Unetbootin.
- android-x86-2.2-generic.iso for generic x86 PC/notebook/netbook/tablet
- android-x86-2.2-eeepc.iso for ASUS Eee PC family
- android-x86-2.2-asus_laptop.iso for some ASUS Laptops/Tablets
- android-x86-2.2-viewpad10.iso for Viewsonic Viewpad 10
- android-x86-2.2-sparta.iso for Dell Inspiron Mini Duo platform
- Camera doesn't work well
- Wifi and Ethernet cannot be turned on simultaneously.
- Suspend and resume doesn't work on some targets.
The source code is available in the main git server,
$ repo init -u git://gitscm.sf.net/gitroot/android-x86/manifest -b android-x86-2.2
$ repo sync
as well as the SourceForge mirror:
$ repo init -u git://android-x86.git.sf.net/gitroot/android-x86/manifest.git -b android-x86-2.2
Read this page for how to compile the source code.
We are reachable by
However, before reporting a bug, please search our forum and issue tracker to see if it is a known problem.
To report a problem, please describe the problem you encountered clearly, as well as the detailed information of the machine you tested, the image you used, and the procedures you have tried. The outputs of logcat and dmesg are recommended (if you know how to get them).