This is the beginning of an exciting, but bewildering time for an 8th grader. It’s the entry point into the unknown, the “high school years”. We hope these will be some of the best years of your life! This timeline gives you an idea of what to expect as you prepare for freshman year at Alton High School. We're looking forward to your arrival!
FALL OF 8TH GRADE
- Parochial/Private School Tour of AHS
DECEMBER OF 8TH GRADE
- Enrollment night - Registration and course selection for private/parochial schools
- December 5, 2016 @ 6 pm is enrollment/course selection night. Please meet in the AHS commons (cafeteria)
- AMS students are given a tour of Alton High School during school hours.
- Registration presentation given to AMS. Course Selections sheets are distributed.
- Course Selection presentations given to AMS students on Friday, December 15th.
JANUARY OF 8TH GRADE
- Alton Middle School teachers make recommendations for course selections for each 8th grade students.
- An 8th Grade Transition Parent Night is held at AHS in the auditorium. Parents and students will be able to visit with staff from all areas to learn more about each department. Open to all incoming freshmen to AHS.
- Course Selection sheets go home with students for parental review and signature. Review the Program of Studies for course descriptions.
FEBRUARY/MARCH OF 8TH GRADE
- Scheduling for incoming freshmen begins at AHS. Placements are reviewed by counselors, teachers, AHS departments and administration.
- 8th grade teachers review grades to confirm that course recommendations made in January are current.
APRIL OF 8TH GRADE
- math placement testing towards beginning of April for AMS students.
- Biology honors testing for students recommended for high school biology honors.
- parochial/private school students testing for math placement and biology honors.
MAY OF 8TH GRADE
- Summer school availability is posted to the AHS guidance website.
- Sign-ups are first come first serve basis.
SUMMER BEFORE FRESHMAN YEAR
- If you are planning to play a fall sport at AHS make sure you have an up-to date-physical. By the time of tryouts you must have had a physical within the past 13 months or you will not be eligible to try out.
AUGUST FRESHMAN YEAR
- Tryouts begin for fall sports. Check the Athletic Department website for dates.
- Attend Orientation. Details will be posted online. This orientation is a time to become familiar with where your classes are located, find your locker and get the general layout of the building.