AIS Council Meeting Minutes - November 17, 2009 (Started: 2:35 p.m. Ended: 4:00 p.m.)
Attendees: Mr. Burke, Mr. Jay, Mrs. Burke, Mr. Sasao, Ms. Hoshi, Ms. Hirakawa, Ms. Tasaki, Ms. Takasawa, Ms. Yamamoto, Ms. Moore, Ms. Shimamura, Mrs. Burke and Ms. Paningbatan.
Absent: Ptr. Vincent, and Mr. DeChichis
Facilitator: Mr. Jay
Recorder: Ms. Paningbatan
Review and Acceptance of November Council Meeting Minutes:
1. Christmas Celebration - Joy to the World (yearly singing) and We Are the World
2. Report from PA - next representatives
3. Fall Festival Questionnaire
* First time of the school to celebrate this kind of event.
* Positive and negative results
* Enjoyed studentsʼ performances
* Questionnaire was a good idea especially if we are doing new things
4. Parent-Teacher Conference Feedback
* Classroom Discipline VS Parenting Style
* Strict VS Sweet
* Disciplinarian VS Responsible
* they enjoyed the areas of improvement given by the teachers
* reservation style - they did not received any confirmation and it was inconvenient
* suggested for a longer time for future conferences - depending on the number of students per classes
* 15 minutes is very limited and English is very difficult for some parents to understand
* there is open communication with regards to the weaknesses of students.
5. Principalʼs Direction
Inform parents 2 things:
* What they are doing well?
* What area needs improvement?
6. Goals and Roles
* Make improvements to meet the needs of current AIS students
* What and How can we best meet these needs?
- There is a need to focus and it is hard to get people to participate.
- What have we been doing?
- What can we do?
- What is the ideal option for AIS? (Fluent in English/Japanese and a loving heart from God)
7. Current Councilʼs Roles
* Improve school climate
* Foster professionalism
* Increase broad participation
* Strive to reach long lasting decisions for the school.
8. Decide on or Enhance
* School climate (maintenance of school grounds)
* Enrichment opportunities (classes, seminars, guest speakers for parents)
* PR/fundraising/establish community relations
* Program development (meeting English language, development needs of school and community)
9. Recent Discussion in Board of Trustees Meeting (November 15th)
* Needs of current students - curriculum
* Interesting Statistics in private schools?
10. Board of Education
* What is our ideal goal that goes with the schoolʼs vision and mission?
* In what area you have the ability to serve?
* PA considers other roles and implementation of Class Representatives
12. Next Meeting:
January ____, 2010 from 2:30 to 4:00 p.m.