to the Transverse Technology Use Cases list.
Role and purpose: this use case describes the
conditions and steps to register resources in the GEOSS Components and
Services Registry (CSR) or in (registered) Community Catalogs.
use case is a precondition to both discovery of resources through GEOSS
Basic flow of events
Resource Registration in GEOSS Components and Services Registry or
This use case covers making information about a GEOSS resource known
to the GEOSS community, and "findable" through the GEOSS Clearinghouse,
by either registering the resource directly with the GEOSS CSR or
registering a community catalog / metadata service in which the resource
has already been registered.
Actors and Interfaces
- Service Provider
- GEOSS Components and Services Registry (CSR)
- Community Catalog Provider
Initial Status and preconditions
- Service Provider has deployed an online resource of interest to
GEOSS. For example: a data access service, a catalog, a model, an
observation service or another process ( grid transformation or
- Service Provider has registered their organization in the GEOSS CSR
- (Recommended) Community Catalog (incl. Web Accessible Folder)
Provider has made their service available for resource description
(basic flow steps)
- Service Provider chooses between three alternatives:
- Determine the appropriate component and service types to describe
the resource and register those directly in the CSR.
- Determine the appropriate component and service type for a metadata
service / resource they have deployed and register that service in the
CSR in lieu of registering individual resources directly.
- Register their resource in a community catalog which has already
been registered (possibly by another organization) in the CSR.
- Service Provider chooses a component type and registers the
component corresponding to their resource in the CSR.
- Service provider determines that metadata about their resource
appropriate to the service type(s) it represents is available through
one or more Web links.
- Service provider chooses one or more service types to represent
their resource and registers them with appropriate metadata links and
Service Provider, when registering a resource with the CSR, can
associate the standards and interoperability arrangements used with the
resource. See Use Case UC10.
The provided resource description or metadata holdings can be
queried by a Clearinghouse and found by GEOSS users searching for useful
Alternative flows of events