1298days since
Demo Capture

Recent site activity

E2E Telecons

September 24 Telecon

posted Sep 24, 2010, 7:30 AM by Joshua Lieberman

Agenda: Processing Use Cases

Logistics

Site: http://sites.google.com/a/aip3.ogcnetwork.net/home/home/end2engineering-2/e2e-telecons/september24telecon
Local time: http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=9&day=24&year=2010&hour=15&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
Dimdim & Telecon Info: http://my.dimdim.com/joshlieberman /
Telecon Access Code: 719290# # Telecon: Conference Dial-in Number: * USA (712) 432-1600 * Austria: 0820 4000 1552 * Belgium: 070 35 9974 * France: 0826 100 256 * Germany: 01805 00 76 09 * Ireland: 0818 270 021     * Italy: 848 390 156 * Netherlands: 0870 001 920 * Spain: 902 886025 * Switzerland: 0848 560 179 * UK: 0844 58 191 0

September 20 Telecon

posted Sep 20, 2010, 4:56 AM by Joshua Lieberman   [ updated Sep 20, 2010, 11:10 AM by Will Pozzi ]

Agenda:

1) Processing use cases
2) How do the engineering use cases play in the scenarios
3) Discuss a stand-alone scenario for e2e
4) GCR and collection entities

Notes:

Greg Yetman could not attend. We will try to set up a Thursday call for processing.

Josh - Issue of when to harvest and when to distribute. Collection - granule is a good paradigm, but needs to be specified for each catalog.

Michael - GCMD is "only" collections, ~21000 records. Need to see if there is a queryable update field so that clearinghouse can do incremental harvest.

Hervé - there was an INSPIRE activity

Will - Water group is interested in the semantic interoperability and its ability to require GCI assistance for mediation and discovery.

Josh - for the future, it is clear for better semantic interoperability that GCI needs to manage vocabularies / ontologies. Whether brokers should be semantic infrastructure or just other components needs to be considered. Interesting also whether it is time to develop a common decision-making use case.

Hervé - at least we can start collecting exemplar decision-making tools from AIP-3 to examine whether there is a common process.

Will - GEOSS activities include decision support tools which are accessible through the GEO portal (community SBA portlets), along with supporting IT activities, including both search and discovery and interoperability of applications (including decision support tools).  Upon roll-out, the Water Working Group drought scenario listed farmers; now we are starting to involve decision makers (operational drought managers) in the pilot activities. Development of the decision support tool side will require more contact with the GEO Secretariat with the SBAs (we already have a good relationship for Water).  More reach out to the political side of GEO to help develop decision support tools that can test GCI (such as the Global Drought Monitor is testing interoperability).

Hervé - QA4EO is doing some outreach to the GEO secretariat to connect better data quality with decision making.

Anyone interested in examining how the use cases play or don't play a role in the scenarios is invited to join this call, and/or contact me about adding this agenda item to their own group's telecon agenda.

Logistics

Site: http://sites.google.com/a/aip3.ogcnetwork.net/home/home/end2engineering-2/e2e-telecons/september13telecon
Local time: http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=9&day=20&year=2010&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
Dimdim & Telecon Info: http://my.dimdim.com/joshlieberman /
Telecon Access Code: 719290# # Telecon: Conference Dial-in Number: * USA (712) 432-1600 * Austria: 0820 4000 1552 * Belgium: 070 35 9974 * France: 0826 100 256 * Germany: 01805 00 76 09 * Ireland: 0818 270 021     * Italy: 848 390 156 * Netherlands: 0870 001 920 * Spain: 902 886025 * Switzerland: 0848 560 179 * UK: 0844 58 191 0

September 13 Telecon

posted Sep 12, 2010, 9:04 PM by Joshua Lieberman

Agenda:

1) Common record entities and actions: how do we move this along
2) How do the engineering use cases play in the scenarios
3) Discuss a stand-alone scenario for e2e
4) The issue of collections

Anyone interested in examining how the use cases play or don't play a role in the scenarios is invited to join this call, and/or contact me about adding this agenda item to their own group's telecon agenda.

Logistics

Site: http://sites.google.com/a/aip3.ogcnetwork.net/home/home/end2engineering-2/e2e-telecons/september13telecon
Local time: http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=9&day=13&year=2010&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
Dimdim & Telecon Info: http://my.dimdim.com/joshlieberman /
Telecon Access Code: 719290# # Telecon: Conference Dial-in Number: * USA (712) 432-1600 * Austria: 0820 4000 1552 * Belgium: 070 35 9974 * France: 0826 100 256 * Germany: 01805 00 76 09 * Ireland: 0818 270 021     * Italy: 848 390 156 * Netherlands: 0870 001 920 * Spain: 902 886025 * Switzerland: 0848 560 179 * UK: 0844 58 191 0

August 23 Telecon

posted Aug 23, 2010, 6:23 AM by Joshua Lieberman

Agenda:
Testing documentation
Use cases in scenarios
Processing use cases
GEOSS Common Record proposal
Data quality flags
Other business

Attending:
Josh Lieberman, ..

Last week:
Data sharing tags likely after tomorrow's meeting
Apropos GCI - likely that an OpenID-based identity provider + authentication proxy design will be worked out to include in AIP-4 RFP

Logistics:
Site: http://sites.google.com/a/aip3.ogcnetwork.net/home/home/end2engineering-2/e2e-telecons/august16telecon
Local time: http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=8&day=23&year=2010&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
Dimdim & Telecon Info: http://my.dimdim.com/joshlieberman /
Telecon Access Code: 719290# # Telecon: Conference Dial-in Number: * USA (712) 432-1600 * Austria: 0820 4000 1552 * Belgium: 070 35 9974 * France: 0826 100 256 * Germany: 01805 00 76 09 * Ireland: 0818 270 021     * Italy: 848 390 156 * Netherlands: 0870 001 920 * Spain: 902 886025 * Switzerland: 0848 560 179 * UK: 0844 58 191 02

August 16 Telecon

posted Aug 13, 2010, 11:44 AM by Joshua Lieberman   [ updated Aug 16, 2010, 7:18 AM ]

Agenda:
Testing documentation
Use cases in scenarios
Processing use cases
GEOSS Common Record proposal
Data quality flags
Other business

Attending:
Josh Lieberman, Steve Browdy

Discussion:
Data sharing tags likely after tomorrow's meeting
Apropos GCI - likely that an OpenID-based identity provider + authentication proxy design will be worked out to include in AIP-4 RFP

Logistics:
Site: http://sites.google.com/a/aip3.ogcnetwork.net/home/home/end2engineering-2/e2e-telecons/august16telecon
Local time: http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=8&day=16&year=2010&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
Dimdim & Telecon Info: http://my.dimdim.com/joshlieberman /
Telecon Access Code: 719290# # Telecon: Conference Dial-in Number: * USA (712) 432-1600 * Austria: 0820 4000 1552 * Belgium: 070 35 9974 * France: 0826 100 256 * Germany: 01805 00 76 09 * Ireland: 0818 270 021     * Italy: 848 390 156 * Netherlands: 0870 001 920 * Spain: 902 886025 * Switzerland: 0848 560 179 * UK: 0844 58 191 02

August 9 Telecon

posted Aug 8, 2010, 8:56 PM by Joshua Lieberman   [ updated Aug 9, 2010, 8:28 AM ]

Agenda:
Processing use cases
GEOSS Common Record proposal table
Consolidated requirements
Data quality flags
Other business

Attending:

Josh Lieberman, Will Pozzi, Erin Robinson, Steve Browdy

Discussion:

Review of GEOSS Common Record (GCR) proposal: proposed fields, and mapping indicators to/from 19139 elements, FGDC, CSW (Queryable / Full), and DIF. FIeld for INSPIRE elements yet to be filled in.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqFCPt1U1kS4dEJGSUlLcXB6QmxjMVZuMTNRNEIxOGc&hl=en


1) Distinguish GCR elements as queryable, brief, summary, full.
1.5) Look at data quality and usage constraints elements in this same light, e.g. one data quality and one usage constraint status field queryable, several fields returnable (e.g. attribution field).
2) Describe more complete definition / format for queryable properties to improve findability, then describe transformations or improvements to be made by metadata providers in order to close the loop on discovery (e.g. geographic extent really does mean observational footprint).
3) Limitation on queryable parameters does not mean that a portal cannot a) utilize/offer fulltext search of other fields or b) provide further local filtering of clearinghouse results. Erin showed uFind as an example of the latter. This clearly has limitations if the initial query returns more than ~1000 records to be filtered, but is at least a start for effective discovery.
4) Also will need to designate which GCR elements are applicable to which resource types (e.g. dataset, service, "dataservice", application).

Actions:

Add the elements and GCR categorizations described above.
Perhaps translate to a Sites page for easier comment and consensus.
Solicit feedback from data providers and clearinghouse people.

Next meeting:

Monday, August 16

Logistics:

Site: http://sites.google.com/a/aip3.ogcnetwork.net/home/home/end2engineering-2/e2e-telecons/august9telecon
Local time: http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=8&day=9&year=2010&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
Dimdim & Telecon Info: http://my.dimdim.com/joshlieberman /
Telecon Access Code: 719290# # Telecon: Conference Dial-in Number: * USA (712) 432-1600 * Austria: 0820 4000 1552 * Belgium: 070 35 9974 * France: 0826 100 256 * Germany: 01805 00 76 09 * Ireland: 0818 270 021     * Italy: 848 390 156 * Netherlands: 0870 001 920 * Spain: 902 886025 * Switzerland: 0848 560 179 * UK: 0844 58 191 02

July 26 Telecon

posted Jul 26, 2010, 5:56 AM by Joshua Lieberman   [ updated Jul 26, 2010, 5:58 AM ]

Agenda:

Processing use cases
Semantics use cases
Vocabulary management
GEOSS Common Record proposal
Data access elements
Dataservice entity


Logistics:

Site: http://sites.google.com/a/aip3.ogcnetwork.net/home/home/end2engineering-2/e2e-telecons/july26telecon
Local time: http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=7&day=26&year=2010&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
Dimdim & Telecon Info: http://my.dimdim.com/joshlieberman /
Telecon Access Code: 719290# # Telecon: Conference Dial-in Number: * USA (712) 432-1600 * Austria: 0820 4000 1552 * Belgium: 070 35 9974 * France: 0826 100 256 * Germany: 01805 00 76 09 * Ireland: 0818 270 021     * Italy: 848 390 156 * Netherlands: 0870 001 920 * Spain: 902 886025 * Switzerland: 0848 560 179 * UK: 0844 58 191 02

July 19 Telecon

posted Jul 19, 2010, 6:24 AM by Joshua Lieberman   [ updated Jul 19, 2010, 8:15 AM ]

Agenda:

Processing use cases
GEOSS Common Record proposal table
Review ISO core for completeness
Consolidated requirements
Data quality flags
Other business

Attending:


Josh Lieberman, Yuqi Bai, Hervé Caumont, Erin Robinson, Joan Maso, Steve Browdy

Discussion:

Josh: Action from last teleconference to develop separate process / workflow use cases, one for development / publication and one for discovery and usage. Greg Yetman
Josh: Action to build a (best practice) proposal table for the GCR elements to recommend how to develop, publish, harvest, and query
Joan by email:
I spent sometime reviewing GEOSS Common Record for ISO 19115 core
completeness and I found that:

Only 2 mandatory core 19115 elements are missing
Metadata point of contact
Metadata date stamp

Several optional or conditional 19115 elements are missing:
(Coordinate) Reference system
Data character set
Metadata standard name
Metadata standard version
Spatial resolution of the dataset
Metadata language
Metadata character set
Distribution format version

Also, I miss some reference to quality. To me, at least, some quality flag
or some sort is needed. One parameter for each dimension (positional,
thematic and temporal) could be the minimum.
Josh: Good to distinguish returnable and queryable for quality, e.g.
            Queryable data quality status
            Returnable (5) ISO data quality elements
Josh: This is key for all ISO / GCR elements - to recommend both queryable and returnable properties
Josh: What about services: we recommend that everything be available at least through WMS, but what else is needed?
Steve: There should be enough 19119 elements in the service registration.
Erin: Not necessarily complete in terms, for example, of the coverage of a particular service on a particular dataset. The space-time footprint rather than just the bounding box.
Steve: similar problem to that of access conditions - each dataset can have a separate access condition in each (type of) service. Another set of 19115 elements on access conditions will be both queryable and returnable.
Josh: Good to distinguish 1-2 queryable access condition fields from other returnable fields
Steve: e.g. category of access and/or well-known license
Josh: we do keep getting down to metadata for "this data through this service". Are links enough for this, or is a single dataservice entity needed?
Yuqi: service registration in CSR is still a fallback for those who do not have a community catalog. Registration allows many choices for metadata documentation, though. How can we help the clearinghouse to be "smart" about mapping diverse metadata standards.
Erin: could the CSR have a practice of people registering GCR records when they register resources directly (as opposed to Community Catalogs)?
Steve: what be entered that is data-specific for a service registration?
Josh: practically, it's necessary to register a service multiple times, once for each dataset it exposes. Because the CSR doesn't really support associations.
Yuqi: There are component -> service associations but not many-to-many.
Josh: need to look for the balance between supporting the e2e thread - find data, find service, access data through that service, and proposing something achievable.
Yuqi: what is the next, simple step for supporting data - service associations more fully. Need a proposal for such a record.
Josh: action - propose an ISO AP extended dataservice record with links to the connected dataset and service instance, adding attributes such as data access elements.

Actions:


Erin - proposal table development
Steve - check on consolidated requirement link, propose access condition queryable - returnable elements
Josh - dataservice entity proposal
All - review and improve the above.

Next meeting:


Monday, July 26

Logistics:

Site: http://sites.google.com/a/aip3.ogcnetwork.net/home/home/end2engineering-2/e2e-telecons/july19telecon
Local time: http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=7&day=19&year=2010&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
Dimdim & Telecon Info: http://my.dimdim.com/joshlieberman /
Telecon Access Code: 719290# # Telecon: Conference Dial-in Number: * USA (712) 432-1600 * Austria: 0820 4000 1552 * Belgium: 070 35 9974 * France: 0826 100 256 * Germany: 01805 00 76 09 * Ireland: 0818 270 021     * Italy: 848 390 156 * Netherlands: 0870 001 920 * Spain: 902 886025 * Switzerland: 0848 560 179 * UK: 0844 58 191 02

July 16 Ad Hoc

posted Jul 15, 2010, 11:55 AM by Joshua Lieberman   [ updated Jul 16, 2010, 8:18 AM ]

Agenda:

    EuroGEOSS Broker - Clearinghouse Connection

    Ontology management

    End-2-end with the GEOSS Common Record

    Status with Clearinghouse harvest

    Other business

Attending:


Josh Lieberman, Kai, Wenwen, Yuqi, Erin, Will, Doug, Steve Browdy

Discussion:

Josh - broker providers not available to talk, but hope for demonstration of broker federation to clearinghouse in the near future. The broker has a repository which is mainly based on SKOS relationships
Steve - can new terms be added dynamically?
Will - it's a protected system, but new vocabularies can be submitted.
Josh - ontology management: broker has a repository which can be visualized, but is not really "open", so something like MMI might be a better choice. It could also serve as a "community catalog".
Doug - University of Tokyo is setting up an ontology facility, but the extent and availability of that facility as a community catalog is not yet defined. Easy enough to add vocabulary as a component type.
Josh - main issue is linking other resources to the vocabularies they use for content and description. If they can be discovered in the CSR / clearinghouse, that's an initial benefit. Could also consider a vocabulary as an interoperability arrangement for the standards registry as well.
Steve - Isn't that good a fit to the standards registry, but could also be an interim measure.
Yuqi - registration is one step, but a repository is critical.
Doug - a repository is really the domain of the ontology task, but AIP-3 could experiment with this.
Josh - a repository would need to support reference from metadata and also reference from external mappings which facilitate broker function.
Doug - Action for a joint session with the semantics and ontology group to define and implement this experiment.
Steve - Where should mappings be managed / registered / discovered?
Josh - as a loose set of information resources, I propose that mappings be entered into the Best Practices Wiki for now as contributed information
Doug - there is an (attached) presentation about the clearinghouse which GMU will show .
Josh - we should assemble the GEOSS Common Record as a proposal for mapping to-from ISO elements so that providers, catalogs operators, and users can leverage them correctly.
Erin - is there a mapping from AQ ISO 19139 record to Clearinghouse 19139 or not needed?
Steve - is it possible to add a queryable property to the Clearinghouse interface? For example, usage constraints are not presently queryable.
Doug - mapping into ISO is pretty comprehensive, there are a good number of queryables in the capabilities, and there is always anyText. Architecture supports adding a field to the queryable index.
Josh - good to know that we can both experiment by way of qualified keywords and propose new queryables if the "catch on"

Actions:

Develop the GCR proposal table as guidance to e2e field usage.

Next meeting:

Propose a joint meeting next Thursday (22 July) at 14h00 UTC between e2e/clearinghouse and semantics/ontology groups to nail down vocabulary management experiment and roadmap.

Logistics:

Site: http://sites.google.com/a/aip3.ogcnetwork.net/home/home/end2engineering-2/e2e-telecons/july16adhoc
Local time: http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=7&day=16&year=2010&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
Dimdim & Telecon Info: http://my.dimdim.com/joshlieberman/
Telecon Access Code: 719290# # Telecon: Conference Dial-in Number: * USA (712) 432-1600 * Austria: 0820 4000 1552 * Belgium: 070 35 9974 * France: 0826 100 256 * Germany: 01805 00 76 09 * Ireland: 0818 270 021 * Italy: 848 390 156 * Netherlands: 0870 001 920 * Spain: 902 886025 * Switzerland: 0848 560 179 * UK: 0844 58 191 02

July 12 Telecon

posted Jul 12, 2010, 4:30 AM by Joshua Lieberman   [ updated Jul 12, 2010, 7:32 AM ]

Agenda:
Processing Use Case
Actions from last telecon:
  • Josh - check with Doug Nebert / Phil Yang about clearinghouse support for GCR
  • Joan - review ISO Core values for completeness
  • Steve - link to consolidated requirements
  • Nadine - Check with George on workshop outcomes - task coordination
  • Stefan - more generalized data quality flags
  • Follow-up to Clearinghouse Ad Hoc
Discussion:
  1. Greg - workflow and process creation / deployment can fit into one use case.
  2. Josh - may still want to split off the access and exploitation of deployed processes, since a process can be invoked many times, producing many derivative data resources.
  3. Greg - will continue to update the workflow case and see about adding a workflow utilization case.
  4. Hervé - Documenting model / processing outputs and uncertainties are part of DH work, esp. with Aston University and UncertWeb, but early stages.
Attending:

Josh Lieberman, Steve Browdy, Hervé Caumont, Greg Yetman

Logistics:
Site: http://sites.google.com/a/aip3.ogcnetwork.net/home/home/end2engineering-2/e2e-telecons/july12telecon
Local time: http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=7&day=12&year=2010&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
Dimdim & Telecon Info: http://my.dimdim.com/joshlieberman /
Telecon Access Code: 719290# # Telecon: Conference Dial-in Number: * USA (712) 432-1600 * Austria: 0820 4000 1552 * Belgium: 070 35 9974 * France: 0826 100 256 * Germany: 01805 00 76 09 * Ireland: 0818 270 021 * Italy: 848 390 156 * Netherlands: 0870 001 920 * Spain: 902 886025 * Switzerland: 0848 560 179 * UK: 0844 58 191 02

1-10 of 22