Link to edit the spreadsheet and add/remove/modify the list of recommended fields: http://spreadsheets.google.com/a/aip3.ogcnetwork.net/ccc?key=0AqFCPt1U1kS4dEJTYjJnRzh6V05GX3dRc3ZpUzBRb0E&hl=en
Summary: The recommended fields are the CSW record with a few additions:
- Parent Identifier - to locate the catalog where the metadata record was harvested
- Keyword thesaurus name - to specify controlled vocabularies
- Temporal extent of the datasets - Earth observations have a time dimension
- Dataset lineage - at least a statement of the history of the dataset.
- Service description - data access service description of the capabilities, layer name
- Data quality status - indicator of the status of QA/QC work for datasets
Next to each of the recommended fields, the next columns indicate if they are also used in various standards, conventions and clearinghouses.