The AIP-3 Data Harmonization Working Group has invited the GEO Task DA-09-01b
group to participate in a joint telecon.
At that telecon, Andrew Woolf will brief both groups on GIGAS
results with a special focus on Data Harmonisation concerns.
The presentation slides are attached to this page and cover the following agenda:
- GIGAS data interoperability contribution to GEOSS AIP-3
- Target scenario (GMES MyOcean scenario)
- A harmonised model - From INSPIRE 'feature-based' and GEOSS geophysical observations / 'coverage'
- Interoperability components (application schemas, spatial and temporal aspects, governance)
- Open issues (ISO 19107, ISO 19123...)Attendees
This was a very useful and encouraging meeting, with regard to the approaches brough in AIP by our participants.
We could see many convergence topics, from Andrew's presentation of that GIGAS work (conducted by Andrew Woolf, Simon Cox and Clemens Portele).
From the discussion, I'd like to report here some of these shared interests:
- The GIGAS project
- Only focused on the "Architecture & Interoperability Arrangement Development" aspect of the AIP-3 Call for Participation
- This means in particular to leverage the GIGAS recommendations on standards (and we discuss hereafter ISO19156 - Observations & Measurements) at the SIF side (Standards and Interoperability Registry).
- This will be an interesting item to check with Steve Browdy on the IEEE/SIF side and Ken McDonald on the GEO task DA-09-01b side.
- Observations & Measurement
- Both an OGC Standard and an ISO19156 standard with DIS status
- Was presented as a key model for the reconciliation of two 'historical' viewpoints : Feature types and Coverage types
- The O&M model itself is very simple. I try to summarize here some key aspects of it :
- Considers a "sampling strategy" to measure properties of a feature and thus link coverages (as measurement results).
- Sampling features can be trajectories, stations (in-situ sensors), swaths (EO sensors), ...
- Brings a consistency model between a sampling feature property (SDI World) and a coverage range type (EO World)
- Addresses the need for definitions & controlled vocabularies
- Importance underpined by the attendees
- Need for as much example as possible in this matter (e.g. from CF convention, from INSPIRE, from WMO...)
- How could this approach take in account the quality indicators:
- O&M talks of chains of measurements / Observation processes (analysis, algorithms)
- You can always attach generic metadata (19113, 19114, there is a very rich quality stack from ISO TC211)
- Upcoming meeting between the Cal/Val (check ISO 19159 as one particular aspect) and the WGISS group
- Find a date to convene the next joint AIP-3 / DA-09-01b telecon (Ken, Hervé)
- Update the AIP-3 DH WG pages with GIGAS recommendations (Hervé)
- Further discuss with GIGAS contributors their potential follow-on on Q4 2010 (George, Hervé)
- Advance QA4EO implementation within AIP-3:
- Look for encoding candidates within actual scenarios (Dan, Lionel…) that match with QA4EO:
- Discuss during telecons the end-to-end topics with regard to harmonisation :
- Possible usages of O&M to ‘cross-link’ a SOS and a WCS that a client application can understand and follow
- How to propagate the error estimates when processing. WPS would accept data along with UncertML and produce new data along with new UncertML…
- (long term) Upgrade the GEOSS Best Practices wiki :
- From the current point of view « QA4EO implementation for Capacity Building »
- To a more AIP-oriented, encoding standards focused, aimed at the GEOSS/GCI users chain (service providers, application developpers, end-users).