1295days since
Demo Capture

Recent site activity

Harmony Telecons

DH telecon: see you next year for AIP-4 !

posted Dec 14, 2010, 6:49 AM by Hervé Caumont

AIP-3 regular telecons are over.
Some ad-hoc telecon might be organized for closing the writing of the DHWG Engineering Report.
Seasons greatings and best wishes for a Happy New Year !

Desktop sharing and Dial-In details
Meeting ID / Access Code: 323-280-003
Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting

To join the meeting:
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/join/323280003

Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended.
Or, just call in using your telephone:

Australia:  +61 (0) 2 8014 4936
Belgium:  +32 (0) 42 68 0697
Canada:  +1 647 724 3552
Denmark:  +45 69 91 88 66
Finland:  +358 942 415 782
France:  +33 (0) 182 880 460
Germany:  +49 (0) 898 7806 6463
Ireland:  +353 (0) 14 845 980
Italy:  +39 (0) 247 92 12 40
Netherlands:  +31 (0) 208 080 383
New Zealand:  +64 (0) 9 985 3563
Norway:  +47 21 04 29 10
Spain:  +34 931816670
Sweden:  +46 (0) 852 503 471
Switzerland:  +41 (0) 435 0167 10
United Kingdom:  +44 (0) 203 318 0627
United States:  +1 516 453 0013

DH telecon: December 2nd, 2010

posted Nov 19, 2010, 7:48 AM by Hervé Caumont   [ updated Dec 14, 2010, 7:01 AM ]

Telecon summary
- Review of contributions to the AIP-3 DHWG Engineering Report
(QA4EO, GIGAS project, CSIRO, PML, Aston Univ., Munster Univ., Coordination with other AIP-3 WGs and with GEO Tasks)
- Draft v0.2 of the Engineering Report (here)

Attendees

Ken McDonald - NOAA / CEOS
Peter Walker - PML
Hervé Caumont - OGC / ERDAS

Discussions

- NETMAR scenario - additional information provided

- Possible inclusion in the AIP-3 DH report of the CEOS Community catalog (along with the chapter on the GEOSS Common Record)

- References to the examples identified during AIP-3 from ‘thematic domains’ (or extensively from some ‘GEOSS SBAs’), and that cope with data harmonization through quality assurance and uncertainty management approaches

- AIP-4 topics are currently being planned



DH telecon: November 19th, 2010

posted Nov 17, 2010, 4:52 AM by Hervé Caumont   [ updated Nov 19, 2010, 8:18 AM ]

Telecon summary
- Review of contributions to the AIP-3 DHWG Engineering Report
(QA4EO, GIGAS project, CSIRO, PML, Aston Univ., Munster Univ., Coordination with other AIP-3 WGs and with GEO Tasks)
- First update for the Engineering Report Table of Content (here)

Attendees

Dan Cornford - Aston University
Jorge Mendes - PML
Hervé Caumont - OGC / ERDAS

Discussions

Aston University
Dan will continue the discussion on the Aston Univ. Wiki
Include links towards AIP-3 Google site pages (also AIP presentation to CEN Workshop)
Create an executive summary onto the GEOSS Best Practices Wiki
Probably also some links to identified requirements from UncertWeb project (integration requirements related to Data Harmonization)
Keep track also of the ISO metadata discussion.
Components and services : no further thing within the AIP-3 timeframe (so far we have registered : TBC)

PML
2 main use cases contributed through the NetMar project:
  • Use Case 1: Relationships between physical and biological variables
  • Use Case 2: Ecosystem model validation
Goal for the DH WG Engineering report would be to identify Data Harmonization Requirements out of these use cases (to be discussed with Peter)
Hervé to provide template for the part of the report to be addressed

CSIRO
Potentially:
  • The « Integrated Water Information Systems Theme » : near real-time situation awareness of river flow in regional catchments, and how emerging standards for Sensor Web Enablement (SWE) being developed by the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) can be applied
  • The South Esk Hydrological Sensor Web and the profiling of SWE information models and web service interfaces, to allow correct encoding and transmission of water information
  • The Data Harmonization requirements from the water resource management use cases in the South Esk Hydrological Sensor Web :
    • DH Requirements from the Kepler Scientific Workflow System to process observations provided by the various SOS instances (time-series harmonization, data spikes issues, gridded rainfall surfaces computation…)
    • DH requirements from usage of points-of-truth for calibration, and potential linkages with uncertainty management
    • DH requirements from forecast models like the DH/DPIPWE/HT flow model, or the CCAM 48 hour rainfall forecasts model
Also, the part related to « register services and components that have implemented these use cases in functioning systems » is well presented in your provided slides & video, and I think I would integrate this in a quite straightforward way :
  • HydroSOS profile supporting WaterML 2.0
  • SOS output of Flow forecast model
  • And maybe a Word on real-time quality assurance, as part of the provenance management framework for Hydrological Sensor Webs (?)


DH telecon: November 05th, 2010

posted Nov 4, 2010, 3:19 AM by Hervé Caumont   [ updated Nov 19, 2010, 8:01 AM ]

Telecon summary
- Some discussions in preparation of the AIP-3 presentation to the CEN TC/287 Workshop
- Review of the WG Action items, plus recent contribution from Aston University
- Interest raised in further addressing issues related to resolution and scale topics

Attendees

Dan Cornford – Aston University
Will Pozzi – Center for Research in Environment and Water
Hervé Caumont – OGC / ERDAS 

Discussions

  • Review of the ongoing action items
    • July 8th : create a category in GEOSS BPW to host current discussion items on ontologies in support of Data Harmonization tasks
    • Sept. 9th : ‘mapping’ relevant encoding standard onto actual QA4EO best practices. Could be done within SBAs, seen as domains having specific needs. AIP could look for the ‘common ground’ in terms of encoding standards
    • Sept. 9th : coordinate with QA4EO team, to look forward case studies from AIP, underpining that some of the actual AIP work matches already a given QA4EO BP or Procedure
    • Sept. 10th : Find a date to convene the next joint AIP-3 / DA-09-01b telecon
    • Sept. 10th : Update the AIP-3 DH WG pages with GIGAS recommendations
    • Sept. 10th : Further discuss with GIGAS contributors their potential follow-on on Q4 2010 (Clemens and Andrew indicated progress on GIGAS Paper)
    • Sept. 10th : Illustrate possible usages of O&M to ‘cross-link’ a SOS and a WCS that a client application can understand and follow
    • Sept.10th : Updade the GEOSS Best Practices wiki from the current point of view « QA4EO implementation for Capacity Building », to a more AIP-oriented, encoding standards focused, aimed at the GEOSS/GCI users chain (service providers, application developpers, end-users)
  • Quality assurance for Data Harmonization
    • Brad's Video presents well the general "GCI super-structure" issue
    • QA4EO recommendations are quite "metrology based"... there is need for "in field" qualification. Is there a document from QA4EO on this approach ? Cf. topological consistency... QA4EO is often based on the concept of repeatable events, and labs based studies. The problem of extending QA4EO to e.g. non-repeatable measurements appears as a quite difficult problem. There is some discussion of Bayesian approaches to post-launch quality assessment but these might require some updating.
    • Need also to well describe data products levels :
      • Level 1 / Primary dissemination imagery formats : data products are generally input to other production tasks. Quality and usability criteria must support quantitative assessment, QA4EO gives an emphasis here, but it must be borne in mind the pre-launch quality assessment must be validated by rigorous post-launch in field assessment.
      • Uncertainty on the Models (as in-between processing) - Cf. GEO Model Web task, UncertWeb project...
      • Level 2+ / Secondary dissemination imagery formats: often end-user products, quality and usability criteria can be slightly different, notably qualitative assessment. Check NetMar, UncertWeb, GeoViQua ...
  • Markup Languages and Ontologies for Data Harmonization
    • CUASHI Controlled Vocabulary is very water-quality oriented. Not much anchors for earth observations... How to expand such ontology for Drought e.g. ?
    • Global drought monitoring : scales, different levels... Soil moisture for example... Do we see this scale concept in the ontologies today ? It is very vague... It is a new subject and research domain indeed... And for what use of the product... as presented to end-users. Concrete example on agricultural models, field plots in china are managed at 'meter' resolution, farms in US or Russia are rather managed at '250m' resolution
  • Registers and GCI resources supporting Data Harmonization
    • Judgement of the user : indeed the term 'computing trust' can lead to a view af 'automated decisions', but we agree that the man in the loop is foressen
    • Need to address some GMES-related examples. Discussion on statistical data for modelling dry deposition rates of atmospheric acidifying components into forest ecosystems...

DH telecon: October 21st, 2010

posted Oct 7, 2010, 7:06 AM by Hervé Caumont   [ updated Nov 17, 2010, 5:35 AM ]

Telecon summary

- Leverage the Use Case from the NetMar project, discuss with the group how the NetMar goals to improve visualisation and analysis tools, can provide some guidance for GEOSS (as best practices).
- Anticipated discussions in oct-nov, and further inputs from PML, for the AIP-3 DHWG engineering report.

Attendees

Peter Walker – PML
Jorge Mendes de Jesus – PML
Hervé Caumont – OGC / ERDAS 

Discussions

Peter:
- related from recent discussions that the NetMar project (FP7) is very keen to stay involved within AIP, and Jorge de Jesus will still be working on the current WPS devs until end december.
- This PML work on WPS is aimed basically at handling processings to combine and compare satellite time series with in situ and model data.

Herve:
-  presented the status of the AIP-3 schedule, the completion of the demo captures for the GEO VII Plenary, and the upcoming phase of writing the AIP-3 Engineering reports.
- Examples from AIP-2 were showcased, like the use case template, and the mapping of the components supporting the scenario implemantion to the GEOSS Common Infrastructure building blocks.
- http://www.ogcnetwork.net/AIP2ERs

 Jorge:
- presented the wiki page of the ongoing PyWPS developments, the proposed WSDL interface description, the contribution to the recent FOSS4G meeting, and some discussions on the OGC WPS list.
- This work will be completed with topics like W*S orchestration, and inclusion of uncertainty measurements (in collaboration with Aston Univ.)
- At present, code is online, documentation is well advanced and still ongoing, and a demo is envisionned shortly.

Herve:
- summarized the main topics to be addressed for the DH WG Engineering Report (QA4EO, uncertainty management, GIGAS results…).
Peter:
- confirmed also interest from PML with regard to QA4EO and quality measurements related to satellite imagery.

DH telecon: October 7th, 2010

posted Oct 7, 2010, 4:33 AM by Hervé Caumont   [ updated Oct 7, 2010, 7:06 AM ]

The telecon was cancelled.

DH telecon: September 23rd, 2010

posted Sep 10, 2010, 1:26 AM by Hervé Caumont   [ updated Oct 7, 2010, 4:50 AM ]

Telecon summary

Review of potential DH WG assets usefull for the upcoming AIP-3 Demo Capture Workshop

Attendees


Brad Lee, CSIRO
Josh Lieberman, OGC IP Team
Hervé Caumont, OGC IP Team

Discussions
  • CSIRO Provenance project
    • Hydrology
    • Forecasting models
    • Proof Markup Language
  • CSIRO WaterML project
    • SOS with 52North
Josh :
- Question of Registering Data Types for the sake of data harmonization

Brad :
- Example from CSIRO: registration of the SOS (ESK), Hydrological Sensor Web South Esk Tasmania
- Serving O&M
- serving WaterML...
-> Supportive information standard for a Data Type/Format (Special Arrangement, ...)

Josh :
- suggestin to leverage this for the demo cpture workshop
- presentation on how to make use of http://www.youtubesocial.com/

Hervé :
- that CSIRO video can be done in line with the 'GCI for Pulishing services' released from AIP-2
http://www.ogcnetwork.net/pub/ogcnetwork/GEOSS/AIP2/index.html
(left menu, GCI for Pulishing services" entry)


DH/GIGAS/DA-09-01b telecon: September 10th, 2010

posted Sep 7, 2010, 1:51 PM by Hervé Caumont   [ updated Oct 7, 2010, 4:44 AM ]


Telecon summary

The AIP-3 Data Harmonization Working Group has invited the GEO Task DA-09-01b group to participate in a joint telecon.
At that telecon, Andrew Woolf will brief both groups on GIGAS results with a special focus on Data Harmonisation concerns.
The presentation slides are attached to this page and cover the following agenda:
- GIGAS data interoperability contribution to GEOSS AIP-3
- Target scenario (GMES MyOcean scenario)
- A harmonised model - From INSPIRE 'feature-based' and GEOSS geophysical observations / 'coverage'
- Interoperability components (application schemas, spatial and temporal aspects, governance)
- Open issues (ISO 19107, ISO 19123...)

Attendees
TBC

Discussions

This was a very useful and encouraging meeting, with regard to the approaches brough in AIP by our participants.
We could see many convergence topics, from Andrew's presentation of that GIGAS work (conducted by Andrew Woolf, Simon Cox and Clemens Portele).
From the discussion, I'd like to report here some of these shared interests:
  • The GIGAS project
    • Only focused on the "Architecture & Interoperability Arrangement Development" aspect of the AIP-3 Call for Participation
    • This means in particular to leverage the GIGAS recommendations on standards (and we discuss hereafter ISO19156 - Observations & Measurements) at the SIF side (Standards and Interoperability Registry).
    • This will be an interesting item to check with Steve Browdy on the IEEE/SIF side and Ken McDonald on the GEO task DA-09-01b side.
  • Observations & Measurement
    • Both an OGC Standard and an ISO19156 standard with DIS status
    • Was presented as a key model for the reconciliation of two 'historical' viewpoints : Feature types and Coverage types
    • The O&M model itself is very simple. I try to summarize here some key aspects of it :
    • Considers a "sampling strategy" to measure properties of a feature and thus link coverages (as measurement results).
    • Sampling features can be trajectories, stations (in-situ sensors), swaths (EO sensors), ...
    • Brings a consistency model between a sampling feature property (SDI World) and a coverage range type (EO World)
  • Governance:
    • Addresses the need for definitions & controlled vocabularies
    • Importance underpined by the attendees
    • Need for as much example as possible in this matter (e.g. from CF convention, from INSPIRE, from WMO...) 
  • How could this approach take in account the quality indicators: 
    • O&M talks of chains of measurements / Observation processes (analysis, algorithms)
    • You can always attach generic metadata (19113, 19114, there is a very rich quality stack from ISO TC211)
  • Upcoming meeting between the Cal/Val (check ISO 19159 as one particular aspect) and the WGISS group
Follow-on actions:
  • Find a date to convene the next joint AIP-3 / DA-09-01b telecon (Ken, Hervé)
  • Update the AIP-3 DH WG pages with GIGAS recommendations (Hervé)
  • Further discuss with GIGAS contributors their potential follow-on on Q4 2010 (George, Hervé)
  • Advance QA4EO implementation within AIP-3:
    • Look for encoding candidates within actual scenarios (Dan, Lionel…) that match with QA4EO:
    • Discuss during telecons the end-to-end topics with regard to harmonisation :
      • Possible usages of O&M to ‘cross-link’ a SOS and a WCS that a client application can understand and follow
      • How to propagate the error estimates when processing. WPS would accept data along with UncertML and produce new data along with new UncertML… 
    • (long term) Upgrade the GEOSS Best Practices wiki :
      • From the current point of view « QA4EO implementation for Capacity Building »
      • To a more AIP-oriented, encoding standards focused, aimed at the GEOSS/GCI users chain (service providers, application developpers, end-users).

DH telecon: September 9th, 2010

posted Sep 1, 2010, 12:59 AM by Hervé Caumont   [ updated Sep 20, 2010, 7:10 AM ]

Telecon summary

1. QA4EO : contact and work plan initiated (details here below)
2. Joint telecon with the DA-09-01b GEO task, presenting the GIGAS contribution to AIP-3.
     Confirmed Sept.10th, dial-in details and slides uploaded here
     QA4EO team invited to attend

Attendees

- Peter Walker, Plymouth Marine Lab.
- Dan Cornford, Aston Univ.
- George Percivall, OGC IP Team
- Hervé Caumont, ERDAS & OGC IP Team

Discussions

GEOSS Best Practices Wiki
  • No new update
  • Hervé to check with Brad Lee and Will Pozzi for the Water domain resources usefull to the Data Harmonisation topic
  • George : probably complementary to the upcoming registry for Ontologies, to be hosted by the GCI
QA4EO
  • Hervé :  telecon on Sept 8th with Dave Smith (QA4EO Sec) and Rob Koopman (GEO Sec)
    • to present AIP and look for coordination with QA4EO team
    • AIP invited to attend the QA4EO Workshop preparation meeting (see details here below)
  • Dan : also discussed the QA4EO Workshop (to be held in April 2011) with Dave Smith
    • Quality indicators not only, but also propagation
    • The QA4EO Workshop would be located at the STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL)
  • Hervé : contacted Lionel Ménard (AIP Renewable Energy WG) following its offered contribution to the QA4EO « GEO » Implementation team
    • General topic of trusting the quality of measurements for products obtained by processing satellite images coupled with other geographical info, e.g., elevation, sea/land. Can be further discussed with Dan.
    • Practical topic of applying the QA4EO guidelines (within some end-to-end quality chain) : envisionned, but the priority is on transitioning to OGC standards during AIP-3. Hervé to look for potential quick wins given the actual scenario & implementation.
    • Dan : Quick Wins still look quite difficult to achieve form the uncertWeb point of view
    • Hervé : agreed. We could anyway look at the actual AIP-3 scenarios when implementing the metadata topics… Or working with WPS servers… and identify QA4EO linkages
  • George : is there an Encoding for QA4EO ? May be existing…
    • Dan says UncertML is precisely aimed at this. How can actions to have QA4EO to adpot uncertML be concerted with AIP ?
    • George : but some other schema for describing Provenance might exist… is QA4EO anticipating to use TC211 encodings… ?
    • Dan: ISO 19115 is in the scope for sure, maybe 19157 rules of the data quality of the elements ?

Environmental models and uncertainty management

  •  Peter : NetMar and uncertML
    • A first AIP-3 schedule may be available on next DH meeting
    • Comparison between the models and in-situ data
    • PML registered service on the CSR
  • Dan : UncertWeb report has 3 use cases described (link published on the DH WG page)

 

Extended meeting – invitation from QA4EO team

Dave Smith (STFC, QA4EO Sec)
Pascal Lecomte (Head - Climate Office at European Space Agency)
Marie-Claire Greening (QA4EO Sec)
Greg Stensaas (USGS)
Nigel Fox (NPL)
Giuseppe Ottavianelli (ESA)
Hervé Caumont (OGC / AIP)
  • AIP-2 videos much appreciated by Dave
  • Review of actions from the last meeting for planning the April QA4EO workshop
    • QA4EO is progressivly going out of the Space/EO world
    • ESA study to integrate QA4EO as an ICSS standard…
    • Cal/Val links with In Situ data
  • Discussion on impacts of the title for the workshop, especially towards GEO communities / SBAs
  • Hervé also asked about the standards for encoding :
    • QA4EO mentions standards for software development (e.g. ICSS from ESA, others for NASA)
    • But more generally beware that QA4EO framework itends to be quite agnostic (more seen as a ‘best practice’ related to Capacity Building)
  • Topics would be discussed with Dave during the joint AIP/GIGAS/DA-09-01b telecon on Sept 10th
  • Actions for AIP :
    • A basic path to ‘move forward’ would consist in ‘mapping’ relevant encoding standard onto actual QA4EO best practices. This could be done within SBAs, seen as domains having specific needs. AIP could look for the ‘common ground’ in terms of encoding standards.
    • Practicalities of implementing QA4EO within AIP scenarios: QA4EO is a translation of best practice that are in some instances derived from ISO stds. As is, QA4EO does not require a particular standard (merely, where a standard is implemented to support Quality Assurance, then this should be identified).
    • Hervé to coordinate with QA4EO team, to look forward case studies from AIP, underpining that some of the actual AIP work matches already a given QA4EO BP or Procedure. Would provide ‘AIP Feedbback/Contributors’ for the QA4EO workshop in April.

DH telecon: August 26th, 2010

posted Jul 23, 2010, 12:34 PM by Hervé Caumont   [ updated Sep 3, 2010, 3:06 AM ]

Telecon summary

 1) GEOSS Best Practices Wiki, probably useful for PML, CSIRO and ASTON Univ. to share their WPS experiences
 2) Joint telecon with the DA-09-01b GEO task, presenting the GIGAS contribution to AIP-3.
     Ken McDonald (NOAA), and Andrew Wolf (STFC, GIGAS) are OK for booking Sept.10th (yet to be confirmed)
     Environmental models and uncertainty management : that topic would be part of the GIGAS presentation on Sept.10th
 3) QA4EO : Hervé to contact Rob Koopman (GEO Sec.) to find the right PoC, and initiate a QA4EO work plan with the DH group.

Attendees

- Peter Walker, Jorge Mendes de Jesus, Mike Grant, Plymouth Marine Lab. (PML)
- Brad Lee, CSIRO
- Steve Browdy, OGC IP Team
- George Percival, OGC IP Team
- Hervé Caumont, ERDAS & OGC IP Team

Discussions

ADC committee meeting in Ankara. Steve B. to ask about feedback on the GEOSS CSR :
- Preparation of the interoperability day
- Feedback from GEOSS communities on the types of problems they had while implementing GEOSS standards (e.g. Registries)
- PML says the NetMar Portal will be registered on the GEOSS CSR

Update from PML:
- Spoke about EU FP7 NetMar project.
- WMS/WFS/WPS.

GEOSS Best Practices Wiki :
- discussion on how to describe a WPS and the processes it offers...
- the CSIRO will put the "Provenance" project details and WaterML v2 project details on Data Harmonization wiki.
- the CSIRO has an outstanding task to update the Best Practices Wiki with Water Ontotolgy offering.

QA4EO:
- the documents referenced in the QA4EO questionaire attached to this site can be found at the following link.
- Brad & Hervé initiated a Data Usability, Computing trust page for this work item. Open for contributors !

After telecon : due to repeated telecon quality issues with Australia (Brad), Herve & Brad downloaded Google video and voice to trial instead of DimDim/Skype, which is proving unreliable. Google video and voice seemed to work well. Another option is to find a telecon provider covering local calls from Australia.


1-10 of 14