Annunciation Catholic School Velma LeMaire Library
The mission of the Library is to serve as an agency of both instruction and service to encourage reading for pleasure and information, and to support the curricular goals of our school. The ACS Library strives to offer a quiet space where patrons can study, research, and explore information effectively and efficiently.
The library media program’s purpose is to support the overall school curriculum by enabling learners to use information literacy skills, resources and tools to:
- Inquire, think critically, and gain knowledge
- Draw conclusions, make informed decisions, apply knowledge to new situations, and create new knowledge
- Share knowledge and participate ethically and productively as members of our democratic society
- Pursue personal and aesthetic growth.
(AASL Standards for the 21st Century Learner, 2007)
The library supports the learning standards “nine foundation common beliefs:
- Reading is a window to the world.
- Inquiry provides a framework for learning.
- Ethical behavior in the use of information must be taught.
- Technology skills are crucial for future employment needs.
- Equitable access is a key component for education.
- The definition of information literacy has become more complex as resources and technologies have changed.
- The continuing expansion of information demands that all individuals acquire the thinking skills that will enable them to learn on their own.
- Learning has a social context.
- School libraries are essential to the development of learning skills.
- Each week grades Kindergarten through 7th grade attend a library class.
- The Pre-K classes have periodic lessons on special events, holidays, and at teacher requests.
- Teachers are free to use the library with their classes on days the librarian is not present or at additionally scheduled times when she is not conducting another class.
- The library is working toward being fully automated. Of the 7000 plus books, 3,583 have bar codes and are in the Destiny system.
Book Fair News
The 2016 Fall Book Fair was a huge success! We hit a new sales record of $11,258! Thank you to everyone who shopped and volunteered.