500 Women Scientists
Pod Coordinator Resources
Pods give a collective voice to women in science locally and are autonomous in creating a locally relevant plan for their pod.
Fundraiser: My Love Affair with the Brain
500 Women Scientists is celebrating an amazing woman scientist by inviting Pods to host a screening of “My Love Affair with the Brain: The Life and Science of Dr. Marian Diamond” throughout October and November. Dr. Diamond has spent over six decades researching the human brain, an endeavor she describes as “pure joy.” We know our incredible network of members can use this film screening as an opportunity to showcase the legacy and brilliance of Dr. Diamond while also increasing public awareness of 500 Women Scientists and raising funds for our growing, thriving organization. We are thrilled that the film’s creator, Luna Productions, is providing this movie for free to our Pods to screen for audiences. With our step-by-step how-to guide, your Pod can locate a venue, sell tickets, and raise money for your local group with ease.
Get Out the Vote
Our Get Out the Vote Campaign is live! As we approach the US midterm elections, we are mobilizing our network. We are asking our pods to:
- Engage with their candidates and ask critical questions about science and justice-related issues
- Register and mobilize voters to increase STEM student turnout and ensure that in the coming Congress, we have more leaders and representatives who value science and who are committed to creating equity and justice
Host an Edit-a-Thon, here is a how-to guide
Share your story! Go to https://500womenscientists.org/myimmigrationstory and fill out the Google Form, or tag us on twitter @500womensci
Join our Bookclub! Read with 500 Women Scientists, share with all your friends and colleagues.
500 WS Youth Pods
Youth Pods are pods of younger girls who want to start their own pod, but who need help because they are minors. We usually connect them to an adult “mentor” pod.
We have 6 Youth Pods
Folsom, CA. Folsom Pod featured as Pod of the Week, August 23rd
San Jose, CA
We now have a Youth Pods email address with an actual live person who can answer and assist: email@example.com
- St. Louis Pod raised $500 at their film screening!
- Knoxville, TN Pod continues to rock Science Outreach at their local schools
- DC Pod Film Night Sparked discussion and action
- Boulder Pod hosted a Speed Mentoring event at the local High School
- End Sexual Harassment in AAAS #TimesUp article in the PBS News Hour features our own Maryam Zaringhalam and Meg Duffy.
- The Belgium Pod Coordinator (Angelique Van Ombergen) is taking part in the Mars simulation mission. The ARES III mission takes place from 4-19th of August at the Lunares Mobile Research Station in Pila, Poland
- Costa Rica Pod published an article about 500 Women Scientists: "Científicas del mundo contra el sexismo" - C+T