H10 B - Week 3
April 15 - 19
Monday, April 15
- 41. pernicious (adj.): hurtful; deadly; fatal (Act IV, Sc. 1, line 134)
- 42. diminutive (adj.): small, little, tiny; a small thing or person (Act IV, Sc. 2, line 10)
- 43. treachery (n.): violation of faith; betrayal of trust (Act IV, Sc. 3, line 79)
- 44. dolor (n.): sorrow or grief (Act IV, Sc. 3, line 8)
- Act III Study Questions - Green
- Alone or in small groups - 15 mins
- Read play (IV.i-ii)
Tuesday, April 16
- 45. impediment (n.): obstruction; hindrance; obstacle (Act IV, Sc. 3, line 64)
- 46. hoodwink (v.): to deceive or trick (Act IV, Sc. 3, line 73)
- 47. antidote (n.): a medicine or other remedy for counteracting the effects of poison (Act V, Sc. 3, line 43)
- 48. usurper (n.): one who wrongfully or illegally seizes and holds the place of another (Act V, Sc. 8, line 55)
- Read play (IV.iii)
- Study Questions - Act IV (blue)
- Work together or separately to complete in class
Wednesday, April 17
- 49. sovereignty (n.): supreme authority or rule
- the authority of a state to govern itself or another state
- 50. pernicious (adj.): having a harmful effect, especially in a gradual or subtle way; deadly and dangerous.
- 51. laudable (adj.): praiseworthy; deserving of commendation
- 52. desolate (adj.): without inhabitants; deserted
- Read play (V.i-iv)
- Video - Witches in film!
- Compare and contrast - creative choices .
- If you were given an unlimited budget, how would you portray the witches? Why?
Thursday, April 18
- 53. antic (n.): a childish act or gesture
- 54. avaricious (adj.): having extreme desire for wealth; greedy
- 55. arbitrate (v.): to judge or settle a dispute
- 56. fury (n.): uncontrollable anger or rage
- Finish play (V.v-viii)
- Motif Groups
- Group 1 - self-doubt, madness, and guilt
- Group 2 - violence and blood
- Group 3 - light and darkness (or white and color)
- Group 4 - expressions of gender
- Group 5 - contradictions/equivocations
- Group 6 - birds and weather
- Begin planning poster relating motif to themes of Macbeth - work day Friday.
Friday, April 19
- No vocab
- Pick up Act V Study Q's (PINK) and Essay Prompt (YELLOW)
- We are not working on Study Q's in class - it's poster time.
- Get into your groups - I will be coming around taking role. Please do not leave the room until I have marked you here, or you might get marked absent!
- Posters - Group work
- The posters should be done today (20 points)